Long Rant: You Can't Control What Other People Think

Awww, are your feelings hurt because people don't conform to your line of thinking? Are you feeling "triggered" because Tommy said a word that you've suddenly deemed is devastating to your personal identity? Do you want to obliterate any kind of contrarian view of the world from your computer, TV, social media, and life? Well, good luck with that... and by "good luck", I mean, fat effing chance of that happening.

More and more, I'm starting to see a pattern emerge from certain people on the internet, and as benign as the wall of social media activism is, their presence has become... irritating. Even if you agree with someone, you have to wholeheartedly agree; any kind of stray viewpoint is met with criticism and my all time favorite, ad hominem diarrhea. Because when logic fails, what's the next route? Get mad and start calling the other person names.

It doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but it still gets under my skin to the point that I just give up and move on, ignoring these people that still feel the need to comment on everything I say. Hell, to some degree, I like it, because the troll in me feeds on their vitriol. But still... when I'm not trying to be antagonizing and am simply trying to make a point, it gets a little upsetting. But it doesn't stop me from making my point and persistently continuing, despite the hate.

Here's the thing: being an asshole doesn't control the narrative. In fact, in a lot of cases, it kills it, because if your only go-to is to be a whiny cunt about someone else's opinion, they will either double down or write you off as an emotional bitch... or both. I know it kills some of you that everyone doesn't agree with your worldview, but guess what? You'll live... and you'll be just fine in your regular life. But I know one thing: the other person is living and moving on with their life while you sit seething at a screen because a "troll" hurt your feelings. 

And this all sounds hypocritical coming from me, because frankly, I am seething at a computer screen right now, pissed off that even in defending someone, I still came off as some snow queen looking for the white man's dick and attention. You can't say anything to people like that because their minds are already made up and when the mob mentality ensues, everyone is looking to pick apart anything you say in order to get their own personal justification for packing it on. They want everyone to think like them, and if you don't, you're the enemy. You can't agree on some things... you have to agree on everything

At this point, I don't care anymore. I'm 30, I have steady income, and I'm living my life... in real life. So stupid shit on the Internet shouldn't be bothering me, but as someone who has dealt with self-esteem issues in the past (and still do), it can get to me. It really does. Now, there's no balling up in the fetal position and crying about how the big bad Internet trolls were mean to me, but there are those moments of reflecting on what I'm saying wrong, and then it just dawns on me: it doesn't matter what you say, because someone will always find fault with it. The end result: you stop altogether or you let them shape your thinking, even if it is in contrast to what you truly think.

And here's the thing: A lot of viewpoints are actually good for you as it allows you to form new opinions or new ideas. It enables different testimonies of thoughts that would otherwise be unavailable. It changes certain opinions while confirming others to their rigidity. If you can change a mind, great. If you can't, too damn bad. Frankly, as long as you're not hurting anyone, I don't care what you think. Granted, if I find out something fucked up about you, I'll likely keep you at a distance, but you thinking something I don't like will not affect me. And it won't affect the rest of you, so shut the fuck up with your relentless need to make everyone think like you. It's futile. Sorry about it.

Okay, I'm done. 

Comments