Thursday, September 3, 2015

Short Rant: Stop Apologizing

If you're on Twitter, and you have more than 10,000 actual people -- and not spambots -- and you have have a penchant for talking off the cuff, you're going to offend someone. A few of them. Hell maybe even a lot of them. They may call you to task, belligerently bombard your mentions with tweets voicing their offense, and demand that you apologize. Don't.

Because if you mean it, stand by it. The last thing one should do is apologize if they don't mean it, because A. They're only doing it to appease and are not contrite and B. If you're not truly apologetic, you're likely going to fuck up again and say it... so eliminate the middleman and be a consistent fuckhead. I see it time and time again with a celebrity or general public figure: an off-color comment, the Twitter stratosphere erupts, and all PC hell breaks loose. News outlets are running the "controversy over [insert name here]'s remarks" and then there is the lengthy statement of melodramatic, tail-in-between-the-legs white flag waving of wimp-tastic surrendering.

Here's the deal: I've said my piece to plenty of people who have said messed up things, and I've had the favor returned to me. When there is time to reflect, I may see things I have said and apologize for them as they were truly bad and in poor taste. But, when I make a joke, the apologies go out of the window. Apologizing for making a joke is just not in me, and it may never be. People like myself with dark humor have a penchant for saying messed up stuff that the average person would cringe at if they had to listen to it, but it is my humor and I make no apologies for it, so don't even waste your time demanding it.

Now, as I said, I've called other people on saying certain things, but not once have I demanded they apologize. You call them a dick, counter their dick-dom with your own, and move on with your life. You don't sit there demanding someone show contrition because your feelings were hurt... fuck your feelings. We live in a world full of 7 billion people all with their own form of thinking, living, and believing. I guarantee you, there are about 6 billion people right now doing something you would deem offensive. Are you going to make it your mission to demand they apologize to you everyday for offending you?  

Make it your mission to come to grips with the fact that not everyone uses finesse of the anally retentive variety when making their points. Attack the ones that are blatantly offensive and vitriolic... you probably won't demand they apologize because you know you're wasting your time. But, how about not going after people you know are on your side because they aren't using correct terminology that changed without any notice? How about put on your big girl panties, realize that the world isn't stringently politically correct, and that just because people use words you don't like, doesn't mean they owe you an apology? But, hey, it's my opinion... and I make no apologies for having it.

Okay, I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Years Ago

Don't take it personal if I speak ill of your name Hate, then sad, is the my favorite method of rhythm You might as well accept the fu...