Monday, March 30, 2015

Long Rant: Bill Maher Has A Point, Liberals

I have long championed the efforts of my fellow liberal comrades because we all want the same thing: equal pay for all, sexual liberation, gender and marriage equality, and just all in all for our fellow man to be treated properly. But, there is this new wave of liberalism that is -- I'll just say, nerve-grating. It's the kind of liberalism that is almost gestapo in nature, militarizing political correctness to the point of mechanical unoffensive speech that ALL must abide by... or else.

Bill Maher brilliantly attacked those far left lunatics in his most recent "New Rules" segment on is HBO show "Real Time with Bill Maher. I'll just let you watch it here:



Jokes aside -- and the horrible laugh of that insufferable cunt S.E. Cupp off-screen -- the man brings up a point that I have long held as a contentious issue among certain liberals: taking a fucking joke. There are some things that are downright offensive, and some things that are said with context needed or none needed and people still get offended over it. It's too much, frankly, having to sift through what is truly "racist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic, Christianaphobic...." and blah blah fuckity blah!! We constantly attack our own over the stupidest shit and then wonder why there are those who are afraid to have conversations with us. I'll tell how you don't open up dialogue with those who are truly curious about us: You don't berate them for not knowing that gender identity and sexual orientation aren't the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with correcting individuals on their mistakes, but some of us on the left take it upon ourselves to scold like arrogant professors and in such a public humiliating fashion. I myself am guilty of such reactionary behavior, but pride myself in having the self-awareness to understand when someone is being genuinely ignorant or purposely obtuse. Assuming all are the latter and attacking them validates the many claims coming from the right that we as liberals are intolerant of opinions and speech, even though we are their biggest champions when it suits us.

At this point in my life, it is becoming harder to identify as liberal because while the core ideals that liberals share still resonate in me, the minutiae of the other nonsense is real turn-off. As dark and edgy as my humor is, there is simply not enough time in the world for me to care about who is offended by this or that, nor do I feel comedians and commentators need to put a thousands disclaimers and caveats onto each statement they make so as not to piss off the wrong people. And frankly, please stop demanding apologies from those who offend you because I guarantee you that A. Most of the ones apologizing are insincere and B. Most of you demanding apologies will not accept them wholeheartedly.

Okay, I'm done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Years Ago

Don't take it personal if I speak ill of your name Hate, then sad, is the my favorite method of rhythm You might as well accept the fu...