Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Do You "Agree" With Homosexuality?


Every now and then, I run into those individuals who make these vague, wishy washy comments about same sex marriage and homosexuality that leave me scratching my head. One of my favorite (read: redundant) comments is the usual "I don't agree with homosexuality, but..."

There's that word: agree. In any other context, it makes perfect sense. For instance: I don't agree with everything President Obama says or his actions concerning Eric Snowden. I don't agree with some of my Twitter followers who think Beyonce is this groundbreaking goddess incapable of doing anything wrong (Bunch of revisionist historians... trying to act like The Fighting Temptations didn't happen). I can agree and disagree with people's actions and words, but what exactly are you disagreeing with when it comes to someone's sexual orientation? 

My being gay is not something that is up for debate, really; it is what it is. It was not a choice of mine, and there wasn't some agreement or statement I had to sign before doing so. Homosexuality or heterosexuality aren't worldviews that one adopts; it is who one is. Imagine if someone said "I don't agree with heterosexuality"... what would the response be then? Hopefully, it would be the same confused and bewildered reaction that I have when this statement is made at me. 

What is it you are really trying to say? That by "not agreeing" with homosexuality, that you don't think it's real? You don't think that being gay is natural? Do you think that being gay is something that goes against societal norms and morals? Do you think that homosexuality is a choice? You see? Questions posed about homosexuality can lead to answers of agreement or disagreement, but homosexuality itself? No, it makes no logical sense because it is a sexual orientation, not a statement of opinion. It's like saying "Even though I don't agree with the female gender, I still think that they deserve rights." Well, gee, thanks, you douche, but what exactly is it about women being women that you don't "agree with"?

Keep in mind, no one is asking anyone who is against gay marriage or homosexuality (the latter being another example of an ill-formed opposing stance), but if you're going to oppose something that is inherent, at least have a valid response, other than not agreeing with gay people. Sorry, but my being gay isn't up for a debate; I just am, whether you think you can agree with it or not. That sounds like a personal issue that you need to work out... do us both a favor and work that out. Okay, I'm done. 



11 comments:

  1. Sorry you have to go through that dude. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I recently found a video that may be relevant . https://youtu.be/Pxz4eyR9U5w?t=2m16s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more with the "sex appeal of an open autopsy" comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! SO well-said. When I ask about all the other "abominations" in Leviticus, the bigots just go on about how Paul said those laws are no longer in effect. But homosexuality? Oh no, that one is always in effect. Interesting that they fixate on the one thing that doesn't affect them, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never really do get a valid answer out of them, do you? And you likely won't, as there is no real justification as the OT sins aren't emphasized anymore... until they are. And then they're not. And so on and so on. The hypocrisy is tiresome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked up your link from an article on Huffington Post.


    I like your style because you call it just like it is. I certainly could not put it in better words. I also have had the same experience. I use to be a boy minister when I was 11 years old until I was 15. I met many evangelist and preachers and they are some of the biggest hypocrites on the planet. Fornicators, greedy and very judgmental when it comes to gay people.


    I have also met a few great Christians in my lifetime. Humble, loving and never judging anyone. All they're trying to do is live upright, get to heaven and take as many people with them as they can.


    There was one lady. After I attended a service where the preacher hammered down on how all homosexuals were going to Hell, knowing that I had just come out of the closet. I left the church in tears. This lady followed me and told me not to listen to all that; God loved me no matter what was going on in my life, and that she believed in me. She just knew what to say at the right time and it probably kept me from going out and taking my own life, because I was really down on myself at that time.


    God loves his gay children just as much as he loves his straight ones, and he knows when and how to reach out to them at the most critical times in their lives. He has done it time and again for me and I know he'll do it for you.


    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am an atheist, so while I appreciate your words, it is a sentiment I have heard time before and do not see it as anything beyond that. But, I applaud any person who understands the human conditions and encourages those suffering to be take solace in knowing they are normal like everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Xzamilloh, and while I respect that, I believe you are still a young man and things change as things are revealed. Still, I understand your experience, as I have been there. Stay encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said. I'm not gay, but I am an atheist, and that makes me destined for Hell as far as many Christians are concerned. I'm usually willing to leave the basic belief in God alone out of a desire to avoid needless conflict, but when someone tells you that your sexuality is evil or that you're going to burn in Hell for all eternity, any prior obligation to sensitivity goes out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly. As though "tolerance" means letting vitriolic bullshit go unchallenged. I have no use for those beliefs, but if you think I'm deserving of death or eternal punishment, that is when I get a little perturbed and need to say something.

    ReplyDelete

7 Years Ago

Don't take it personal if I speak ill of your name Hate, then sad, is the my favorite method of rhythm You might as well accept the fu...