Saturday, February 1, 2014

Don't Compare Your Sexuality To My Race



You gotta hand it to some of these self-righteous people: they will try their hardest to justify their own bigotry, even if it means trying to have the monopoly on oppression. Black people, why don't you stop with the bullshit of how you are so tired of gay people trying to compare themselves to your "struggle". For one, you ignore the fact that the very same arguments used against our grandparents and great-grandparents are used against many of us today in the gay community. And for another, it completely ignores the individuals of the LGBT community who are LGBT and black and who were subjected to and still are being subjected to persecution and violence in our own communities. 

I. I didn't choose to be black, but you chose to be gay

Well, guess what? I'm black and gay... and last time I checked, I didn't make the choice to be either. And given the way I saw gay people being treated and how I was made fun of and looked down on for my dark complexion, there were many a day I dreamed I was light skinned and straight, because it appeared to me at that time that this was what you needed to be accepted into my society. If after all this time you think that who you are sexually attracted to is a choice, then you're as stupid as you are repressed. You know the kind of people who say being gay is a choice? The kind of people who have had same sex attractions. 

II. You can hide your sexuality, but I can't hide my skin color.

I'm beginning to notice that a lot of these retorts by my fellow black people hinge on the gay person not being black, as you find that many of these do no take into account those of us who are happen to have one foot in both pools. But that doesn't matter. Take a look at the picture next to this paragraph; that is champion figure skater Johnny Weir. If you have heard this man talk or have seen him in action, you can deduce within a matter of minutes that he is as gay as the day is long (of course male figure skaters are given the side eye from the minute they take the ice... ask Scott Hamilton). I'm not trying to play up gay stereotypes, but the fact of the matter is, there are many of us in the gay community who cannot "hide" our sexuality, and why the hell should we? 

III. Black people were lynched and persecuted during the Civil Rights Era.

And many in the LGBT community were also persecuted. I'm sorry, black people, but we don't have the market cornered on persecution. I don't understand why anyone would use the past to dismiss the present or to willfully gloss over the history of another group. Now, yes, there is still racism and persecution of minorities still going on in America, but to say that one group's persecution doesn't matter because it's a group you happen to be against as well, reeks of hypocrisy. America's history of violence against LGBT people is there in black and white (for lack of a better phrase) and it would behoove many of use to learn from it and accept it.

IV. God never says it is wrong to be black, but he says it is wrong to be gay.

Whether your god did or didn't say anything, I care, why? By the way, I'm not just making shit up here... do you know how often I hear religion brought into matters like these? People will use their gods to defend their own biases and then look at you as if you're the crazy one for not buying it. As someone who has answered these kinds of questions, I am often called whitewashed, sellout, Uncle Tom, and anything else that they can use to make me feel like I am wrong for not taking their side as they hurled anti-gay rants at others. One could say that the Bible's passages about slavery imply a god's sanction of the practice. The early slave owners sure as hell thought so, which is why they were quick to claim the Christianity while whipping and beating slaves into submission. Apparently, God says whatever he wants you to say, no matter how heinous it is. 

Black people and gay people, enough is enough. As a gay black man, this is something I can see from both sides. The last thing I was to see is having my race whittled down to a catchy phrase that others use to bolster their own claims with no regard for the other group. And quite frankly I see many gay people doing so, mainly the Caucasian ones. So, yes, I can see how most of these replies from black people are more geared towards white gays, but that doesn't make them any more logical. As I said before, I didn't choose to be black or gay, and to say it is a choice is not based in anything scientific but more religious based. After all, if it's not a choice, you would have to admit that you have a god who intentionally made people that he claims will burn in Hell for all of eternity. So how about this: Don't compare your personal hangups and religion with my sexuality. Because I didn't choose to be gay or black, but you chose to be a bigoted Christian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Years Ago

Don't take it personal if I speak ill of your name Hate, then sad, is the my favorite method of rhythm You might as well accept the fu...